Doctored Cake Mix Recipes
I have doctored cake mixes since I started, almost 30 years ago. I have never followed the recipe on the box of cake mix. I have always substituted buttermilk, milk, coffee, espresso, liquid coffee creamers and liquors as liquid in the mix; adding melted sweet butter in place of oil, use extra-large eggs, dry instant pudding, ground chocolate chips, nuts, melted chocolate, candy pieces, coconut, etc. These techniques have given my cakes a simple gourmet flair.
Not only do I doctor the cakes, I make all my own flavored simple syrups, ganache, fillings and mousse to achieve a gourmet cake without the fuss of making the basic flavors from scratch. Most people cannot tell if the cake is a doctored mix or from scratch.
I believe you cannot replace an applesauce, carrot, spice or unusual flavor cake with a mix, these are best when made from scratch.
Please enjoy the following cake recipes; these recipes have been enjoyed by many customers, family, friends and students for many years.
Chocolate Kahlua Cake
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) plain devil’s food cake mix
- 1/4 instant Chocolate Fudge Pudding, Dry Mix
- 3/4 cup Kahlua
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup ground chocolate chips (ground with metal blade of food processor)
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Prepare 2 – 8-inch round cake pans, (*Note- See Baking Hints, on how to prepare pans and baking instructions) set the pans aside.
- Place the cake mix, dry pudding, Kahlua, buttermilk, butter, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping down the sides again if needed. The batter should look well combined. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans, smoothing it out with the rubber spatula. Place the pans in the oven side by side.
- Bake the cakes until they spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 28 to 30 minutes or longer if oven is turned down. Remove the pans from the oven and place them on wire racks run a knife around the edge of each layer and invert each onto a rack, then invert again onto another rack so that the cakes are right side up. Allow to cool completely, 30 minutes more.
- Finish cake by frosting with Kahula Frosting, recipe found under “Frosting Recipes.”
Helpful Websites for Cake Recipes
The following websites are a great asset, when searching for new and old family recipes. These sites have wonderful cake recipes from scratch and using cake mixes.